Self Publishing


I’m a self-publisher. This is because I don’t have an agent. By choice I’d let agents and publishers do their thing and I’d do the stuff I was good at – wining and dining the literati /going to conferences and talks / chatting nicely to librarians / heck even writing – good old fashioned division of labour.

Needs must, so I self publish. As a self-publisher, I’m going to talk a bit about it.

What do I use?
A: I use Lulu. Lulu is a POD (Print-on-Demand) service. I’ve been tempted by other POD service providers (such as CreateSpace) – but not much.

What is a POD service?
A: You prepare your product. In my case, I make sure I produce a PDF. Other formats are possible but I don’t use them. Once your product is loaded into their system, for each on-line purchase of your book, a hard copy will be printed and mailed out.

Lulu - Pocket Book

Lulu – Pocket Book

I’ve trialled Lulu and I’ve been impressed with the quality of books. It works; the product looks professional. But you need to have a good understanding of formatting to get the best from it. I use Open Office Writer in preference to Word. There’s a number of reasons for this, the chief one being the fiddly Microsoft interface since Word 2007.

Are there any considerations?

Personal Projects
POD is best for personal projects – you don’t need to worry how it will get to market… because the market is you!!! and you choose how it’s finished.

Specific Market
It’s also good when you publish to a very specific market e.g. a private report for your clients to buy. In this case you know the market, although you do need to pay more attention to the finish.

General Product
The main snag is one that faces a first time self-publisher, who has a general market offering. How does product get to market? Lulu have a number of packages: Publicity Services / Book Reviews / Promotional Materials / Book Fairs. These all cost money. You can pay £000’s, but is your product worth the investment?
The other challenge is the finish. Do you fancy going the whole hog and spending on Cover Design / Editing / Formatting, and even eBook Publishing?

And finally be aware that Lulu takes a 20% royalty from the net profit. Does that seem a lot? Well at least the author gets the other 80%. Contrast that with normal royalty rates.

Archie 02/03/13

Advertisements

About Terence Park

Collections: vinyl records, comic books, paperbacks; I've plenty of them all. I also do spreadsheets.
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s